Let’s consider both options
The best choice for you will depend on a range of factors including the amount of property you need to store, how portable it is and how long you want to store it for.
The good news is that Ballards offer both self-store and managed furniture storage, so we can advise you on the best option for you, and whichever you choose, you’ll know that your possessions are safe and secure. Let's look at some of the things to consider.
There are a lot of self-storage centres around the country, and most, like Ballards, offer 24-hour access to your own container in a secure area.
This is a great option if you have a reasonable amount of property to store and can transport it to the storage unit and load it up yourself. If you think that you may need to access some items whilst they’re being stored, then having 24-7 access means that you can collect items or add new ones whenever you wish.
For fairly small amounts of property, perhaps stored short term whilst you’re having work done in your property or for seasonal storage, this is an economical choice, as weekly rates are quite low.
Things to watch out for when considering self-storage facilities:
- Make sure that the security is tight and only you can access your container
- You’ll also want to check that you can drive your vehicle right up to your container so that it’s easy to move things into it
- Fragile items should be packed carefully and everything should be stacked securely, to avoid damage
- Make sure you know how your property will be be insured whilst in storage
- You may need packing boxes, wrapping paper etc
Ballards self-storage centre at Markham Moor has everything you need and is easily accessible from the A1, with round the clock security.
Managed furniture storage
Managed storage is most often used when you need to vacate one property before moving into another, as the entire contents of your home can be collected and stored securely for you, then delivered to your new address when required.
How the Ballards managed furniture storage service works:
- We discuss your requirements to identify how many wooden containers you will need and any larger items that might need storing separately
- We send a truck and professionally trained loading crew to you, with the empty containers and we pack, load and stack your goods in the container(s)
- We complete an itemised inventory list for each container
- Any over-sized items will be protected as required and itemised separately
- Our truck will then return to our storage warehouse and your loaded containers are removed from our truck and logged in our storage system, so we know exactly what we have and where it is
- We then securely hold your goods on your behalf until you are ready to have them delivered back to you.
- We will then unpack the containers and bring everything into your new home
Things to consider when using managed storage services:
- Does the storage centre have a robust system to in place to look after your property – as Ballards do?
- Is there adequate security in place and is the storage area clean and dry
- Is there anything that you might need to access at short notice? If so, consider keeping it with you, or let the storage company know, so you can make appropriate arrangements
- How will your property be insured whilst in storage?
Ballards containerised storage system minimises the handling of your possessions. The service is fully insured and we take full responsibility and liability for your goods whilst in our care.
Our warehouse is one of the best in the country and we think it’s important that you can see, touch and feel where your possessions could be stored, so we actively encourage all of our customers to come and view the storage facilities here at Markham Moor.
So coming back to the question – which is best, self-store or managed furniture storage? The answer is, it really depends on you. Why not give us a call and tell us what you need to do – we can advise you on the available options and costs.